Over 2 months in the making and it's finally here!
All 20 blog authors want to invite you
to follow our literacy journey on
This week, Jan. 6th - 10th EVERY follower is a WINNER!
EVERY follower who leaves their email in the rafflecopter below,
will be emailed our Blog Launch Exclusive Freebie Prize Pack at the end of the week!
Each day this week there is a different literacy focus. Five talented bloggers will share their tips for...
Welcome! Welcome! It is absolutely thrilling to me to be a part of this wonderful literacy community! I am Em from Curious Firsties. My teaching started in Knoxville, TN where I taught second grade. When I moved back to Cincinnati, OH I taught first and second grade (including a looping year). About five years ago, I requested to be a Title I teacher (my dream job). Currently, I work with only first grade students. My school is departmentalized and leveled; therefore, I push into the classroom and provide small group instruction with my co-teachers. I absolutely love my job and the challenges that it can pose.
My FREEBIE product is a vowel-consonant-e word ladder packet. Word ladders are a great way to engage our students in word study. They have to analyze the clues to uncover the next word. My ladders differ from traditional ones because I focus them on one specific pattern. They provide support to students that have decoding difficulties and would benefit from practice with specific patterns. I’m happy to share it with you! The blogging world is such a great place to learn and grow. I am excited to be a part of it!
One decoding principle that can be tricky for children to master is learning the r-controlled vowel sounds ar, er, ir, or, and ur. When a vowel is followed by an "r", the "r" changes the sound that the vowel makes. Sometimes teachers refer to the "r" as "Bossy-r" as the "r" bosses the vowel to make a different sound. We hope you enjoy our Roll the Die game from our Wonderful Wizard of Oz bundle that reinforces this important decoding rule. This game can be used as an ELA center, small group RTI intervention, or informal assessment.
Hello there! My name is Jessica and I am coming to you from Hanging Out in First! I am so excited to be a part of this blog and to share with you so many wonderful reading resources. The freebie that I am sharing with you is part of my phoneme segmentation pack. Phonemic awareness is crucial for beginning readers. It is the ability to manipulate phonemes, or sounds. As a student learns to manipulate phonemes, they are then able to begin blending and encoding sounds as they read and write. It helps students to see patterns within words and recognize chunks of sound.
Hi everyone! I am so delighted to be part of this wonderful collaborative group!
My freebie for you today is related to initial phonemes, or sounds. Research has shown that children learning to read must be able to manipulate phonemes in order to advance in their reading skills. Yes, first they must be able to identify those sound units, but manipulating them is important because readers need to remember them and compare those phonemes and the letter(s) that represent them. A reader needs to be able to pull out a single phoneme from a word they read and to compare and contrast it with different letter sequences. For example, a child learning to read needs to be able to figure out that the initial phoneme in fall and phone is the same but they are represented by different letters.
With that being said, my freebie will have your students working on adding initial phonemes (sometimes we call these onsets) to word families (rimes). For example, a student will take the phoneme c and match it with ake to make cake. However, matching it to ack will not make a word. I am excited for your students to give it a try and I hope that the practice is fun for them and doesn't feel much like work! Thanks for stopping by our blog today!
We hope these ideas are useful in your classroom.
To get our Exclusive Follower Prize Pack Freebie,
follow our blog and leave your e-mail in the rafflecopter below!
Make sure you visit every day this week to get more literacy tips and
enter daily to win one of the 4 Grand Prizes.






Hardest reading strategy that I teach is comprehension. I know that first graders get so focused on the words they forget to think about what they're reading. It's something we work on constantly.
ReplyDeleteFor me, its fluency that supports comprehension. Its one thing to help students understand what they read, its another to help them do that while picking up the pace and moving through the text! #1 reading tutoring request!
ReplyDeleteI teach 3rd grade. Teaching the comprehension strategies is always difficult. Many come to me still undoable to decode, so much time is spent catching them up.
ReplyDeleteI teach first grade and I think comprehension and fluency are the hardest to teach.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everyone else that comprehension is difficult to teach. It deals with so much to teach our young students. It is one of the most important skills they will learn.
ReplyDeleteCL14Mentor@oh.rr.com
I love teaching reading! But, one of the hardest things for me to help my first graders with is identifying the main idea and picking out key details from a story.
ReplyDeletekim.menning@k12.sd.us
Sometimes, I feel like decoding unknown words using syllable breaks can be difficult to teach.
ReplyDeleteI teach kindergarten and the first thing that came to me is fluency. The children need to re-read a lot! Comprehension comes in to play later in the year!
ReplyDeletegloriawittenberg2@gmail.com
I just finished student teaching and am getting my teacher toolbox ready for my own classroom. I am excited about this new blog and look forward to gaining allot of knowledge from other teachers.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Angie
Kimberly, theme seems like such a hard concept for our students. Yet, when they see a movie, they can normally pick up on the theme right away!
ReplyDeleteDeniece, This Little Piggy Reads
I teach preschoolers with developmental delays and vocabulary is the toughest of the ELA standards. IL Early Learning Standards are aligned with Common Core, so specifically it is 1.C Use language to convey information and ideas.
ReplyDelete1.C.ECa describe familiar people, places, things, and events and, with teacher assistance,
provide additional detail.
Beautifully designed blog, ladies! Best of luck on your new venture! ~Denise www.playlearnteach.org
All freebies will be emailed in a pack at the end of the week in one large zipped file for each day. We won't email them out until the end of the week.
ReplyDeletecraft and structure. Understanding the why and how an author creates a selection (fiction, non-fiction, informational text). There are so many details that create the magic "recipe" for comprehension. Comprehension for each student is different.
ReplyDeleteI teach 3rd grade. For me,reading with expression is very difficult. Stopping at ending marks and just fluently is a struggle.
ReplyDeleteThanks for a great site! I think Comprehension is the most difficult to teach. Even when we practice various aspects (inferring, visualizing, etc) students have trouble carrying it over into daily work.
ReplyDeleteYes, Carrie - we'll be changing up the rafflecopter.:)
ReplyDeleteErica, come back on Thursday! We have a few vocabulary strategies to share.
ReplyDeleteDeniece, This Little Piggy Reads
Susan, Wednesday we'll examine Comprehension. Stop back by!
ReplyDeleteDeniece, This Little Piggy Reads
Looks like it is going to be a wonderful blog! I would love to see something similar for math!
ReplyDeleteTara
The Math Maniac
Denice, that is so true! Maybe it's the visual aspect of the movie... So many of my kids are such visual learners... Or maybe they're just paying more attention ;)
ReplyDeleteCause and Effect. I even get them mixed up sometimes!!! :)
ReplyDeleteCarol,
DeleteI remember teaching Cause & Effect in 2nd grade and it seemed like every time I listed a cause a kid in the class could find something that caused it. Ugh....It was actually frustrating because we were looking for effects. I had to start over and turn to real life examples.
Deniece, This Little Piggy Reads
For me the hardest thing to teach my students is decoding. They struggle very much with sounding out different parts of the words and even identifying different letter sounds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for my 1st graders!
ReplyDeleteFor me the hardest thing to teach is comprehension and knowing how to go back to the text to support what they know. And being able to support what isn't directly in the text. First graders have such a hard time with this!
ReplyDeleteThe hardest reading strategy that I teach is comprehension and understanding the difference between main idea and the details.
ReplyDeleteI thinking teaching comprehension is the hardest thing!
ReplyDeleteI teach first grade and I think comprehension is very difficult for them. They "think" they know what what the story is about...till you start asking questions. One of the hardest standards for "ME" is CCRA.R.7 and CCRA.R.8 - not sure how to teach it to first graders.
ReplyDeleteInferencing is the hardest skill to teach for me.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to reach all students when doing a whole group read aloud to see if they are understanding our story.
ReplyDeleteLove the new blog!!! Filled to the brim with great info and neat ideas!!!
ReplyDeleteThere are so many as I am a Title I teacher for kindergartners. These students come to school with little or no exposure to letters and books. We are still working on recognizing letters and their sounds. Rhyming is difficult for the kiddos as well as segmenting and blending and manipulating sounds. They get syllables and sounding out words mixed up. Comprehension is also tricky.
ReplyDeleteLee Ann-- Are some of your students ELL or ESL ? Rhyming is a really challenging skill for some learners because the concept does not exist in their language. Also, I am sure we will be focusing on phonemic awareness and alphabet as we go along. I have been trying some new ideas to get mine to learn because I came in with a few at 0 letters in the fall. I work in a Title I district near Boston.
DeleteWendy
Ms D's Literacy Lab
I teach 2nd grade. I find comprehension the hardest to teach as well! Love the new blog! I know it will be a great resource! :)
ReplyDeleteInferences are hard for me to teach.
ReplyDeleteElyse--I was just having that conversation today with my sister. She teaches third. We were reading "Comprehension Connections" and the author mentioned Scooby Doo episodes as a great way to work on this. I haven't tried this. But it sounded intriguing!
DeleteI also find that comprehension and inferences are hard to teach, especially for younger readers who are reading at an advanced level, but don't get the hidden meaning in a text.
ReplyDeleteThe hardest standard to teach to First graders is comprehension. They are still focusing on the words, they have a hard time remembering what they read. We are also going to full Common Core and learning those standards can be difficult but our report cards are still state standard. It's a fine balance!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous blog this is going to be. A wealth of experience at our fingertips. I have saved this to my favourites.
ReplyDeleteWow, I love the blog already! This is going to be a wonderful resource especially since I teach all levels as a special education teacher. By far, the hardest reading component to teach my kiddos is inferencing since many struggle with basic reading comprehension!
ReplyDeleteAs a kindergarten teacher with students in such a wide range of abilities I find that students first need to build fluency before they can begin to fully understand the text. Oral language plays a big factor in answering the five W questions. We need to build up their oral language first before we can expect them to comprehend books.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous new blog!! Loving it already!! I think the hardest thing to teach is the level of depth required for the higher level texts. Students are great at retelling, but it is often hard to get them to delve deeper.
ReplyDeleteAli
Sebrina,
ReplyDeleteBe sure to come back on Wed./Thurs. to get ideas for comprehension and vocabulary.
There are a lot of strategies in the freebie pack. But, I think we're going to discuss our February posts and make sure we cover comprehension K-6!
Deniece
Figurative language in 3rd grade, as well as theme, especially for Fables!
ReplyDeleteLindsey
The Journey of a Beginning Teacher
Try using Nursery Rhymes..............it's very 'old school', but so unknown to today's kids and provides lots of opportunities to teach rhyming as well as some vocab and life lessons. Kids get 'a charge' out of it because it is so 'new' to them.
ReplyDeleteTry using Nursery Rhymes..............it's very 'old school', but so unknown to today's kids and provides lots of opportunities to teach rhyming as well as some vocab and life lessons. Kids get 'a charge' out of it because it is so 'new' to them.
ReplyDeleteComprehension is always challenging for 2nd graders as it is the concept expected to be mastered by the end of the year. This year's CC emphasis on Vocabulary has been challenging as well. eweems@mcs.k12.ny.us
ReplyDeleteI think main idea has to be one of the hardest skills to teach. secondgradeperks@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteWriting is my favorite thing to teach, but these are the hardest standards to teach, I think, in first grade. Writing is somewhat abstract and firsties don't have the skill to see the abstract and come out of no where to write about their thoughts. I do get my students to write well by the end of the year, but the haul is long.
ReplyDeletefaithfulinfirst.blogspot.com
I teach second grade. Comprehension is hard for students when they don't pay attention to what the question is really asking and when a question has multiple parts.
ReplyDeleteMy writing standards are the hardest to teach! My fourth graders hate to write and it's hard to come up with fun and new ways to teach them how to write!
ReplyDeleteIt has always been comprehension! They rush and want to get done "first" - don't take the time for real understanding. Love the new blog!!
ReplyDeleteJulene Hoffman
jhoffman143@yahoo.com
I LOVE teaching any language arts area, so although I don't think of any as hard to TEACH, the vocabulary focus with CCSS is definitely something that is hard to LEARN! I'm constantly looking for new ways to introduce, reinforce and apply vocabulary across settings. ~ Lisa
ReplyDeleteI teach 2nd grade and find that comprehension and main and supporting details are the most difficult to teach. I am excited to hear all of your ideas to make me a better teacher!
ReplyDeleteemilyamoore@hotmail.com
I teach 2nd and the hardest for me is comprehension. Main idea and details are so hard for them.
ReplyDeleteI think that certain aspects of comprehension are difficult for my little ones to grasp. Main idea, plot, and sequencing seem to be the most difficult.
ReplyDeleteI am an Aussie teacher and I have found inferring is one of the hardest reading strategies to teach to students in year 3.
ReplyDeleteHi this networking is great. I'm an Aussie teacher and I find that inferring is a struggle with my grade 2 kids.
ReplyDeleteTeaching them the difference between main idea and summarizing is super tricky! Teaching all the skills to my kiddos that span 7 grade levels (all 2nd graders) is hard, too!
ReplyDeleteWow! What a fantastic collaborative blog with fabulous resources. I am an Aussie teacher looking forward to learning some more strategies. Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteHi there Felicity...another Aussie colleague...you will absolutely LOVE the freebie prize pack given out at the end of the week to everyone who enters their email address! So glad you have joined in :) Kylie
DeleteForgot my email child_happy@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteHi. I'm an Aussie relief teacher and private home tutor. Comprehension is indeed a tricky concept to teach. I'm so looking forward to following this amazing new blog. Thanks :-)
ReplyDeleteI think Inferencing is one of the hardest skills, especially when they are doing it subconsciously and can't explain how they figured something out/understood something.
ReplyDeleteHi there Lauren, my fellow Aussie teaching colleague...we haven't met, but I am so glad you are participating in this! You will absolutely love the pack of freebies that is sent to each participant at the end of the week :) Make sure you leave your email address...I am wondering if you do that in the rafflecopter at the bottom of the page??? Kylie
ReplyDeleteI find in first grade main idea is most difficult. The little ones are just so quick to jump on the point that grabs their fancy or that they identify with and don't really look at the big picture. They are fabulous at making connections. Maria
ReplyDeleteAs a person who teaches and tutors reading, I cant wait to see what kinds of ideas will be posted!
ReplyDeleteRenann72@yahoo.com
NyLiteracyTeacher.blogspot.com
Too many books to choose from to teach with:
ReplyDeleteLast year I loved using the "Bear" books by Karma Wilson in grade 2.
In 5th grade I loved Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Renann72@yahoo.com
NYLiteracyTeacher.blogspot.com
Love your response Jennifer and welcome to the Royal Court LOL :) Kylie
ReplyDeleteI tend to agree, that teaching inference and inferring can be a challenge and it is one that we will be addressing in future blog posts :) Welcome to our new collaborative literacy blog! Kylie
ReplyDeleteWe work hard on retelling. I like to use Roald Dahl books
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to say one favourite book to teach with as there are so many great ones. I really enjoy using The Hungry Caterpillar as so many subjects can be used, colours, days of the week, vocabulary, reading strategies, etc, etc. Great blog, looking forward to following it!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy lessons that build students' vocabulary while we are revising our writing. I use the paint sample cards with shades of one color to help students understand shades of meaning. Interactive writing is a perfect time to play with words and change the tone of our piece.
ReplyDeleteI work with Special Education students. One thing that works for me in the classroom to help my students to understand how to retell a story is to use pictures from the story(no words) helps them to retell the story better.
ReplyDeleteAs a mother of a 4th grader that can barely read at 1st grade level but comprehends at 4th.....I look for anything to help her help herself. Kellyhuff@hotmail.com
ReplyDelete